The Vacation that Changed my Life | Plastic-Free and Zero Waste Lifestyle

By Simplified by Dub - July 11, 2019

zero waste plastic free vacation travel palawan



Last April, my family, friends and I traveled to the one place that 10 year old me always wanted to go to. We traveled to Palawan, specifically Puerto Princesa, El Nido and Coron. All I ever wanted to do was to forget about work, studies, and my research. I wanted to relax, focus on myself, and enjoy my time with my family and friends, spend 14 days with sand on my toes and sunburn on my cheeks while admiring the beautiful blue water.

It was the time when I fully wanted to go back to blogging after a 4-month hiatus and it was also the time when I fully thought of the my new blog's niche.



When we arrived in Puerto Princesa, we went to the mall to buy snacks and toiletries. My sister (who was left behind in the hotel), said we should buy reusable water bottles adding that some parts of Palawan are very strict with plastic bags and plastic water bottles. And I thought I should at least do so to prevent inconvenience with drinking water (since we'll be in the sea or islands the whole day) and I could save money too.

During our day tours, the tour guides would often remind us that they have brought a gallon of mineral water (to refill our water bottles) and be conscious of the environment by not throwing single use plastics in the ocean or the beach. Because of this, we bought waterproof/dry bags to securely keep our electronics, snacks, and clothes from getting wet as well as not constantly using single use plastics during the travel.



The trip was overall amazing. We get to see breathtaking views and God's beautiful creations. But the beaches and the ocean weren't this beautiful or wasn't as beautiful before since Palawan has become a tourist destination. There was a time when the corals were not as colorful or vibrant as it used to, a time when the beach side was filled with plastic trash by tourists, and a time when the fishes, turtles, and corals were harmed by the plastics. On our way to another destination, our tour guide saw *I apologize ahead* a used menstrual napkin floating in the ocean. He was disappointed and he disposed it immediately. I was honestly disgusted and upset of how the last user was so careless of throwing it in the ocean. But I thought maybe the lady who used it, disposed it properly but it got washed away and it made me think of the other single use plastics that get washed away into the ocean.



That afternoon we went snorkeling and saw huge turtles and one even came to me and I got emotional thinking of the video of a turtle who had a plastic straw stuck in his nose. I kept tossing and turning that night when I was in bed to sleep. I wanted some change in my life. I wanted to help in environment even in a small way such as cutting out single use plastics in my life.



As our tours continued, we went to islands with plastic-free stores selling coconut water with paper straws, the tour guides served us with plastic-free lunch, and we dined in restaurants that use bamboo straws for their drinks.



Before I left Palawan, I did buy a few bamboo items that I could use at home and work and I started reading about plastic-free and zero waste lifestyle. It was achievable in some areas of Palawan, I know I could do it in my daily life too.

It has been a few months since then and I have learned several tips and tricks from people who are living a zero waste lifestyle. So far, I am zero waste with my take out food, personal hygiene and some of my skincare products. I am sustainable with my clothing and skincare (some). I'm still using the skincare and makeup products I hoarded in the past few years but I've search for sustainable options or zero waste DIYs I could do. What I'm still not zero waste fully is the kitchen (as my mom takes over the groceries) and feminine menstrual products (which I'm still feeling uneasy transitioning), but I'll get there.


Have you heard about the Zero Waste Lifestyle? How did you start? And what are your tips for beginners?

zero waste plastic free travel vacation

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments