When to Upgrade? | Minimalism Series

By Simplified by Dub - July 16, 2019

when to upgrade minimalism

We are currently living in an era of upgrades. Companies release new and improved products from time to time. Some people could get by without upgrading but some of us need to upgrade because of the nature of our work or simply we need technology in our lives. 

I bought a phone four months ago because my old phone was acting up a bit. It dies after a half day of use, it was starting to go slow, and there are days when it just won’t turn on. It was such a hassle because in my work its either I’m at the office the entire day or I have to be on-the-go and need to communicate with co-workers. I had to bring and attach my phone a heavy 20k MAh powerbank during those days to survive. I thought about buying a new phone and it took a while to arrive. A day after I started using my new phone, I swear I couldn’t use my old phone anymore because it won’t turn on and it won’t even charge. 

Are you thinking about moving to a better apartment? Or upgrading your phone, tablet/iPad, or laptop? Then read on whether you should be upgrading or not.

But before upgrading, consider this:

Try living without it. Some people might not agree with me on this but it does not apply to all actually. This is to reassess if you really need the product. Before, I sometimes wonder if I should buy expensive skincare or makeup because some people say the expensive ones feel luxurious or are the best products out there. When I tried one, I didn’t feel any difference except the difference in my bank account. Currently, I have some products that I don’t buy anymore now that I am living a more sustainable lifestyle. 

However, if you need to upgrade, ask yourself these questions:

Can I afford it? Ask yourself if you have the means to buy the product. Are you living paycheck to paycheck? Would you still be able to live comfortably if you buy it? Are you in debt? Then should you really buy it?

How is my current item holding up? Does it still do its job? Is it giving you any convenience? 

Back when I was living alone, I was thinking about finding a new apartment thinking that my space was small for me. I started looking at other apartments in the area and I eventually concluded that my place is so much better and more convenient. Yes, it was small but I could survive living a small space than to be inconvenienced by other aspects such as a noisy neighbor, impolite landlord, or unsafe neighborhood. 

Can I find cheaper alternative? There are times when we really need to buy a certain item but couldn’t afford it. Look for cheaper alternatives but do not compromise the quality. Or you could:
  • Repair it. We often times have items that aren’t working but could be repaired and you could still use the last few years of its life and saving for its replacement.
  • Replace it. During my college years, I used to have a laptop that was of good quality but its accessories easily gets damaged. I have replaced the battery and charger once, though it was a bit of a hassle to travel and buy the replacements, I was still able to use the laptop for several years.
Is the difference worth it? But if you could afford a more expensive item, weigh if the difference whether buying the expensive item be more worth it than settling down with the affordable alternative. 


Currently, I have an iPad mini that could no longer be updated. Still usable, works perfectly fine except I could not download some apps that isn’t compatible with my iPad and its a bit slow now too. But I’m not planning to replace it yet. Maybe when I go back to graduate school and I badly need to swap my notebooks and books for one item in my bag.

Recently, my laptop was damaged. According to the service center, the motherboard was broken and replacing it would cost the same amount that I bought the laptop. I decided to buy a new one when I go back to graduate school too as I will be working with heavy data and programming. For now, my current employee provided me with a computer for work. And my dad allowed me to use his laptop at home. 

Are you planning to upgrade? 


when to upgrade minimalism

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments