7 Simple Ways to Build Habits

By Simplified by Dub - July 25, 2019



Have you made resolutions during the new year and found yourself not doing them after a month? Have you wondered why some people get so much done? Have you ever thought about doing something new or changing a bad habit for this week?

Building habits could be quite tricky sometimes. During the first week we are so motivated and pumped up, we don't doubt ourselves we're going to fall off our track. But in a week or two, we find ourselves back to where we were before we thought about the change.

In today's post, I'll be sharing to you how to create and build sustainable habits in the simpliest way possible.

1. Start Small. When you are trying to build a habit, start it with baby steps. Start with habits that are easier for you and try doing it once or twice a week. When I started going to the gym, I started with twice or thrice a week and in a couple of months I went to the gym 5-7 times a week.

2. Simplify it. One of the things I learned from building habits is to make it easier to perform the habit on my end. For example, I wanted to drink more water at work or at the gym, but I realized it makes me lazy to keep refilling my glass from time to time when I find it empty. So I would bring a 500ML or 1L water bottle and fill it with water but I honestly prefer having 500ML than the latter so that I have to stand from my desk to the water dispenser more.

3. Keep a habit tracker. Find a motivator by downloading a habit tracker that would remind you to do the habit and help you keep track of how you are doing.

4. Remember the reason why you started your habit. Sometimes, when we are a couple of weeks in our habit, we start loosing motivation or inspiration to keep going. That's why its important to write down in a piece of paper or in the notes of your phone the reason why you started doing this habit and its positive outcomes so you could read it when you don't feel doing it.

5. Step into the behavior and the mindset will follow. When I started my weight loss journey, I had a difficulty of dragging myself to the gym or yoga. One tip I learned was to wear gym clothes at home or during sleep or wear yoga leggings to work to motivate me to exercise.

6. Try to hack it. I got this tip from Matt D'Avela by listing down the habits I want to build, find similar habits or connect habits that you could do at the same time. If you want to drink water, read books and do cardio exercise more, then listen to an audiobook while working out. Watch the video here.

7. Celebrate small wins. Reward yourself on each step in the right direction, no matter how small they be. When I go to the gym on a certain day I would reward myself a small chocolate or a relaxing bath right after. These tiny celebrations actually releases key chemicals that make me feel that I have achieved something even though I am so tired.

What are your tips on how to build habits? Comment down below!

Follow


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments